How to Apply as a Transfer Student
We only consider transfer applications to begin studies during the fall term; we do not admit students in the spring. In addition, we do not handle requests for visiting or exchange students.
The following list includes everything you will need—both academically and in terms of forms and information—in order to apply to Caltech.
Transfer Application Checklist
- Common Application or Coalition Application with Caltech Questions - Caltech does not have a preference between the Common Application or the Coalition Application. We advise that you use the best platform for your application process.
- $75 application fee
- Entrance Examination Proctor Agreement form
- Math and physics entrance examinations*
- 2 college faculty evaluations (math, science, or engineering accepted)
- College official's report
- Official transcripts from the last secondary school and all colleges/universities attended
- International Financial Aid Statement of Intent - When an international citizen applies for transfer admission, the application prompts questions to confirm his/her understanding that he/she is not eligible for need-based financial aid. Click here to download the full extent of our financial aid policy for international citizens.
- TOEFL scores - Required of all international citizens unless 1) your native language is English; or 2) you have studied for two or more years in a school where English is the language of instruction. The latter must be completed prior to the application deadline. We do not accept the IELTS or any other substitute for the TOEFL requirement.
*Caltech Transfer Entrance Examination
All transfer-student applicants are required to take a Caltech Transfer Entrance Examination in both mathematics and physics. These exams are to be taken after you submit a transfer application to Caltech.
Students must find a faculty proctor at their home institution to administer the exam. Once we receive your proctor agreement form, we will mail the exams to your proctor. The math exam takes approximately four hours; the physics exam takes approximately three hours. Exams must be returned to Caltech by March 22.
Transfer Admissions Statistics (2012–2016)
|TRANSFER||Fall 2012||Fall 2013||Fall 2014||Fall 2015||Fall 2016|