Caltech's commitment to helping our students become knowledgeable, creative, and active members of society extends far beyond the work we do on campus. Students are encouraged to see, learn about, and take part in the world around them through several different programs.
The Caltech Scholars Program offers six official study abroad opportunities for students in any discipline:
- Cambridge Scholars Program (England)
- Copenhagen Scholars Program (Denmark)
- École Polytechnique Scholars Program (Paris, France)
- Edinburgh Scholars Program (Scotland)
- London Scholars Program (England)
- Melbourne Scholars Program (Australia)
Caltech students are eligible to apply for study abroad programs during their sophomore or junior years, to study abroad during their junior or senior years, respectively.
Caltech offers ample opportunities for undergraduate research, including in several international locations.
- SURF Exchanges. The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships Exchange Programs were developed in order to enhance and broaden students' undergraduate experiences by giving them the chance to live in another culture, conduct research in a different academic/research environment, and prepare for careers that will most certainly involve international cooperation and collaboration.
- GROWTH SURF. Global Relay of Observatories Watching Transients Happen is a large international collaboration led by Caltech whose main research goal is to study cosmic transients ranging from merging neutron stars and supernovae to small near earth asteroids. Each year, GROWTH SURF offers opportunities to undergraduate students to spend up to 10 weeks abroad at one of our international partner institutions in Germany, Taiwan, India, Israel, Japan, Sweden, or the United Kingdom.