How to Apply to the 3/2 Program
Admission to the 3/2 program is not guaranteed for all applicants; admissions decisions will be made by the Caltech Faculty Upperclass Admissions Committee. The following checklist, however, tells you everything you will need to do in order to apply to Caltech.
3/2 Application Checklist
- You may apply using either the Common Application or the Coalition Application. You must first follow the path for transfer students, and from there, you will be able to see questions that will categorize you as a 3/2 applicant. The deadline for submission of the 3/2 application is April 1. Admission to the program is determined by the Caltech Upperclass Admissions Committee.
- Obtain letters of recommendation from your college's 3/2 liaison and from a mathematics, science, or engineering faculty member.
- Complete one year of physics (two years recommended).
- Complete one year of mathematics (including multivariable calculus and differential equations; two years recommended).
- Complete one year of chemistry.
- Complete the International 3/2 Student Supplemental Form, if relevant (if you are an international 3/2 student if you are neither a U.S. citizen nor permanent resident).
- Application Deadline: April 1
- Admit Reply Deadline*: June 1
*While Caltech does not require a deposit, all admitted 3/2 students must reply to our offer of admission by June 1.