All applicants for transfer admission are required to take two Caltech Transfer Entrance Examinations: one in mathematics, and one in physics. These exams will be taken on your honor after Caltech receives your transfer application. Please note the following:
- Each examination has a 4-hour time limit, for a total of an 8-hour commitment. You are not required to take both exams in one day.
- You may only look at the examinations at the time that you take them.
- Reference materials, calculators, electronic devices, textbooks, tablets, notes, or aids are not permitted.
- If an applicant requires special testing accommodations, they must contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions prior to the application deadline.
Deadline for Examinations
You must submit the completed examinations to Caltech by March 22.
- Sample math and physics exam questions (PDF)
- List of math and physics textbooks (PDF) used in first- and second-year Caltech math and physics courses. We recommend using this list as a guide to material that may be covered in the entrance examinations.
Entrance Examination Self-Proctor Form
Applicants take the transfer entrance examinations in mathematics and physics on their honor, adhering to Caltech's Honor Code:
No member of the Caltech community shall take unfair advantage of any other member of the Caltech community.
After submitting your application for admission, you activate your Caltech Applicant Portal. The Self-Proctor Form will be available through this Portal starting February 15. Once Caltech receives the completed form, you will receive the exams electronically along with instructions for uploading your completed work.