You must apply for admission as an undergraduate transfer student if you have completed your secondary education, have enrolled at a college or university other than Caltech, and have earned credit for courses. We do not allow students to transfer during or for their senior year of college/university. In addition, the Undergraduate Admissions Office does not handle requests for visiting or exchange students.
If you are concurrently enrolled in a secondary school and a college or university you should apply for first-year/freshman admission.
The following is a list of materials required for a complete application for transfer admission. If your application is missing any one of these components, it will be considered incomplete.
- The Coalition Application with Supplemental Application Essays
- $75 application fee or fee waiver
- Entrance Examination Proctor Agreement Form (coming soon)
- Math and physics entrance examinations
- Two college faculty evaluations from math, science, or engineering professors
- In addition to the two required teacher evaluations, you are welcome to submit one extra evaluation from a mentor or supervisor who knows you in a different context. Caltech does not have an official form to accompany this additional letter, so please be sure the letter includes your full name and birthdate. The letter may be emailed directly to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted through the Coalition Application. We will not accept any letters sent by the student/applicant.
- Transfer Report Form
- This is a form available through the Coalition Application. Once you begin your application, you will receive instructions about how to download this form and give it to a university official (Registrar, Dean, etc.) to complete.
- Official transcripts from your secondary school (grades 9-12, or the international curriculum equivalent) and all colleges/universities attended
requirements of applicants who are international citizens (applicants
who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents, regardless of current
- TOEFL scores: Required of all international citizens unless 1) your native language is English or 2) you have studied for two or more years in a school where English is the language of instruction. The latter must be completed prior to the application deadline. We do not accept the IELTS or any other substitute for the TOEFL requirement.
- International Financial Aid Statement of Intent: When an international citizen applies for transfer admission, the application prompts questions to confirm their understanding that they are not eligible for need-based financial aid. There is no separate form to submit to fulfill this requirement.
- Translation: All application materials must be submitted in English. If they were originally printed in a language other than English, they must be translated by an official translator. We will not accept any documents that have been translated by the student/applicant.