Caltech Summer Preview: Women in STEM
- Are you a woman or non-binary rising high school junior or senior interested in taking your passion for STEM to the next level?
- Does the prospect of solving the world's toughest scientific challenges motivate you?
- Are you interested in learning what makes Caltech a place uniquely designed to produce the world's best and brightest innovators and researchers?
WiSTEM is a free, one-day program for non-binary and woman-identified rising high school juniors and seniors who are interested in learning more about what Caltech has to offer. Ultimately, we hope students leave with an increased understanding of whether Caltech is a place they can see themselves learning and growing through their college years. We will also showcase the exciting frontiers that Caltech women are exploring in the STEM fields, such as this year's keynote speaker, Dr. Katherine L. (Katie) Bouman, whose research recently helped generate the first image of a black hole at the center of our galaxy.
Dr. Bouman is a Rosenberg Scholar and Assistant Professor of Computing and Mathematical Sciences (CMS) at Caltech. Prior to starting at Caltech, Dr. Bouman was a postdoctoral fellow with the Event Horizon Telescope project which published the first picture of a black hole in April of 2019. Her research focuses on computational imaging, which allows researchers to observe phenomena that have been traditionally difficult or impossible to detect. Dr. Bouman's research group also reflects the interdisciplinary nature of science at Caltech, with experts in signal processing, computer vision, machine learning, and physics all working together to achieve new scientific breakthroughs and technological innovations.
The Caltech Summer Preview: Women in STEM event is designed to provide prospective students with information about the undergraduate experience. Registrants will be exposed to the depth and breadth of opportunities for women and non-binary identified students at Caltech through panels, mock lectures, information sessions, and more that touch upon academic offerings, residential life, career opportunities, and research. All guests will be equipped with in-depth information about the application and financial aid processes. Students will learn more about Caltech's competitive application process, and connect with the Admissions Counselors who will read their applications in the fall.
Students will gain:
- Insight into the multitude of STEM opportunities available to Caltech undergraduates
- Information about Caltech's competitive application process
- Knowledge of Caltech's academic offerings through panels and mock lectures
- Connection with various Caltech community members, including faculty and current students
Parents will gain:
- Insight into the admissions process and how you can help your student prepare a strong application
- Information about our rigorous financial aid program
- Knowledge of student support services available at Caltech
Prior to registration, all registrants and guests should review and adhere to Caltech's COVID-19 Safety Policies. At minimum, all registrants and guests are expected to be vaccinated. To maintain the health and safety of all, each registrant is allowed to register only one adult guest. We look forward to next year's event in August 2023.
A tentative schedule of events/activities is below.
Friday, August 5
|Start Time||End Time||Description||Audience|
|7:30 a.m.||8:45 a.m.||Check In & Light Breakfast||All attendees|
|9:00 a.m.||9:45 a.m.||Opening Welcome & Keynote Address with Dr. Katie Bouman||All attendees|
|10:00 a.m.||10:45 a.m.||Campus Tour||All attendees|
|11:00 a.m.||11:45 a.m.||Women in STEM Panel||All attendees|
|12:00 p.m.||12:45 p.m.||Lunch with Interhouse Committee (IHC) Members||All attendees|
|1:00 p.m.||3:00 p.m.||Student Track (Interactions with facullty)||Students only|
|1:00 p.m.||3:00 p.m.||Guest/Family Track (Interactions with Student Support staff and Financial Aid officers)||Guests only|
|3:00 p.m.||3:45 p.m.||JPL Panel||All attendees|
|4:00 p.m.||4:45 p.m.||Admissions Session||All attendees|
|4:45 p.m.||5:00 p.m.||Closing Remarks|