Who is a transfer student?
You must apply for admission as an undergraduate transfer student if you have completed your secondary education, have enrolled at a college or university other than Caltech, and have earned credit for courses. We do not allow students to transfer during or for their senior year of college/university. In addition, the Undergraduate Admissions Office does not handle requests for visiting or exchange students.
If you are concurrently enrolled in a secondary school and a college or university you should apply for first-year admission.
Required for all transfer applicants:
The following is a list of materials required for a complete application for transfer admission. If your application is missing any one of these components, it will be considered incomplete.
- Coalition Application with Supplemental Application Essays: The application asks if you have any relatives who have attended and/or worked for Caltech. We do not use this information for evaluative purposes, and we do not give preferential treatment to applicants based on this information. Caltech does not consider or track a student's legacy with the Institute, nor do we track or consider a student's connection to prospective or current donors. The supplemental essays are the same as those for first-year admission.
- $75 application fee or fee waiver
- Entrance Examination Self-Proctor Form
- Math and physics entrance examinations
- Two college faculty evaluations from math, science, or engineering professors: In addition to the two required teacher evaluations, you are welcome to submit one extra evaluation from a mentor or supervisor who knows you in a different context. Caltech does not have an official form to accompany this additional letter, so please be sure the letter includes your full name and birthdate. The letter may be emailed directly to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted through the Coalition Application. We will not accept any letters sent by the student/applicant.
- Transfer Report Form: This is a form available through the Coalition Application. Once you begin your application, you will receive instructions about how to download this form and give it to a university official (Registrar, Dean, etc.) to complete.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Official transcripts from your secondary school (grades 9-12, or the international curriculum equivalent)
Additional requirements of international citizen applicants:
- Duolingo English Test or TOEFL Internet Based Test (TOEFL IBT) scores: Required of all international citizens unless 1) your native language is English, or 2) you have studied for two or more years in a school where English is the language of instruction. The latter must be completed prior to the application deadline. As of June 2020, Caltech added the Duolingo English Test as an accepted exam to demonstrate a student's English language proficiency. We do not accept IELTS scores.
- International Financial Aid Statement of Intent: When an international citizen applies for transfer admission, the application prompts questions to confirm their understanding that they are not eligible for need-based financial aid. There is no separate form to submit to fulfill this requirement.
- Translation: All application materials must be submitted in English. If they were originally printed in a language other than English, they must be translated by an official translator. We will not accept any documents that have been translated by the student/applicant.