There are three ways to apply to Caltech. Select the option that fits you best.
- Apply to Caltech by submitting one of the following applications:
- Common App, Apply Coalition, Powered by Scoir, or QuestBridge Application.
- $75 application fee or fee waiver.
- School Report: This is a document that your high school college counselor will send to Caltech that provides context about your school. You can request your counselor complete it through all 3 application platforms. Additionally, your counselor will submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- Teacher evaluations
- Official transcripts from your secondary school (grades 9-11, or the international curriculum equivalent).
- If you have taken college classes while in high school, please provide the college transcript, as well.
- Mid-Year Report (due when first term senior grades are available at your school).
Caltech defines an international applicant as a student who is neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident and who has attended secondary school outside of the United States.
Additional requirements of applicants who are international applicants:
- English Proficiency Exam scores: Required of all international applicants unless 1) your native language is English or 2) English is the primary language of instruction in your secondary school. We accept the Duolingo English Test (DET), IELTS, or the TOEFL. The English proficiency exam must be taken prior to the application deadline.
- International Financial Aid Statement of Intent: When an international student applies for first-year admission, the application prompts questions to confirm their understanding of our financial aid policy and thus confirm their financial aid intent towards Caltech. Caltech is need-aware for international applicants because the total amount of financial aid funds is limited for these students, and we remain committed to meeting the demonstrated need of all admitted students.
- Translation of documents: All application materials must be submitted in English. If they were originally printed in a language other than English, we require the original document and an English translation.
You are welcome to provide supplemental materials that you believe will help our admissions committee learn more about you. These materials may include but are not limited to:
- Research paper, abstract, or publication (citation if published, letter of evaluation, and research description required)
- Maker portfolio
- Visual art
- Description of an internship
After the application deadline, you will receive a link to the Caltech application portal (Beaver Breakroom), which will include instructions on submitting supplemental materials.
Letter of Evaluation from Site of Research
If you are submitting a research paper, we require an additional recommendation from someone who can comment on the research experience that produced the paper. This letter can come from a supervisor, a mentor, an adult collaborator, or an administrator. Research papers and posters may be uploaded to your Caltech application portal (Beaver Breakroom) after submission of your application.
After the application deadline, you will receive a link to the Beaver Breakroom, which will include instructions on submitting supplemental materials. If you are submitting research, you are required to fill out a form with a description of your research and the email address of your recommender. Our office will then email your research recommender a link to upload their evaluation.