Caltech has determined, through a rigorous review process, that completion of the following certifications from Schoolhouse.world, based on coursework provided by Khan Academy, demonstrate the subject area mastery required for the Caltech core curriculum:
|AP/College Calculus BC*
High school physics - NGSS**
(strongly recommend AP/CollegePhysics 1)
*Although Khan Academy offers an AP/College Calculus AB course, the AP/College Calc BC has two extra units in addition to the original 10 units available in AP/College Calc AB. Caltech accepts the Schoolhouse.world certification for AP/College Calculus BC.
**Although Khan Academy offers an AP Physics 1 course, Caltech accepts the Schoolhouse.world certification in High School Physics – NGSS. Caltech recommends the AP Physics 1 course on Khan Academy as a supplement.
What is the deadline to submit proof of certification?
Proof of certification from Schoolhouse.world is required within one week of the relevant academic deadline:
|Fall 2024 Application Round
|Deadline to submit certification
|Sunday, November 5, 2023
|Restrictive Early Action
|Wednesday, November 8, 2023
|Wednesday, January 10, 2024
There are no exceptions to these deadlines.
Students must submit their AP/IB examination scores or certifications through the application portal, Beaver Breakroom, after applying to Caltech. Further instructions will be provided via email within 72 hours of submitting your application.
How does certification work?
- Take the relevant course(s) on Khan Academy: Khan Academy offers free online lessons and practice for you to learn new material at your own pace.
- Access free tutoring at Schoolhouse: Schoolhouse.world is a free, online tutoring platform where you can get support from a personalized peer tutor if you get stuck or want extra help.
- Become certified in the course on Schoolhouse: You can take a 30–45-minute course challenge on one of the subjects listed in the table below while explaining your reasoning aloud. If you achieve 90% on the challenge, you will receive a certification that you have met our course requirements for application.
Get Certified Instructions
- If you haven't already, use this link to sign up for a free Schoolhouse account
- Using the above Course links table, use the "Get Certified" column for the subject you're certifying in
- In the Course Challenge box, click the "Get Certified (+50 SP)" button and follow the instructions to take the certification
- Achieve a 90% on the course challenge and then submit your certification for review
- Once your video has been reviewed and approved, you'll get an email with a publicly shareable link to your Schoolhouse certification transcript
Learn more about Caltech's course requirements and where to locate your certifications on Schoolhouse.world here.
- If you feel confident in your ability to achieve 90% on the Schoolhouse.world challenge without taking the Khan Academy courses or receiving Schoolhouse.world tutoring, you may jump straight to Step #3.
- To be eligible for first-year admission at Caltech, only one calculus or physics course is required.
- You may take the course challenge as many times as you would like. Caltech will not see previous certification attempts.
- Schoolhouse.world requires access to a user's webcam during the certification process as a means for confirming the individual identity of the student being certified. If you do not have access to a webcam for this process, learn more here.